Coalition of Services of the Elderly, Inc. (COSE) is a Non Government Organization working with older persons, especially the most disadvantaged ones, in urban and rural areas in the Philippines to address issues of poverty, exclusion, and invisibility so they may live in dignity.
It originated through a consultation on 28 November 1989 in Manila initiated by Help the Aged (now Age UK), represented by Graeme Jackson. The participants came from the government, non-government and people’s organizations.
Since 1989, COSE has been registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and has been licensed and accredited by the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD). COSE is a full member of HelpAge International (HAI) and has received a number of awards both locally and internationally for its programs.
The primary interest of COSE are the older persons. The services of COSE are expressed in:
- Supporting a Coalition of all groups actually involved or interested to involve in service with the older persons in whatever capacity in order to cooperate and exchange services with one another.
- Using all means available especially media in order to heighten awareness of the importance of older persons in the country.
- Both organizing Community-based Programs of the Elderly (CBPE) and supporting these organizations, particularly the poor and marginalized older persons.
We envision an equitable society for all ages where older persons live in dignity, remain healthy, self-reliant, secure and free to commit themselves to others and society.
To work with older persons, especially the poor and marginalized, in upholding their rights while respecting cultural diversity, nurturing their potentials, recognizing them as a significant sector and ensuring their participation in matters affecting their lives.
- Development of strong older persons organizations (OPOs) that uphold their rights and addresses the issues of poverty, exclusion and invisibility.
- Strengthen and build partnerships with various stakeholders at the local, national, regional and international levels to advance the well-being of older persons.
- Enhance COSE’s institutional capacity as a resource-based organization on ageing.